The Student News Site of NYC iSchool

The iNews Network

No players? You’re out!

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Brianna Robeck, Reporter

As of May 9th, 2017, it has been announced that the Lady Lions Varsity softball team will no longer be playing due to an insufficient number of players. Of the 10 years the NYC iSchool has been open, this is the first time a team has ever dropped out of the season.

Of the total games in the season, the Lady Lions has won a total of zero games.

After the 17th game, it has been declared that the team is no longer able to participate in the season because of the amount of forfeits. There are a total of nine players needed on the field for softball. The Lady Lions only had 5 players.

“Going into the season, I thought there would be more girls, and more enthusiasm, but unfortunately, that wasn’t the case,” Coach Grey (Lady Lions Varsity Softball coach) states.

Public School Athletic League (PSAL), an organization that promotes student athletics in the public schools of New York City, states, “If a team forfeits 3 games during the season for not having the minimum number of players available for a game, that team’s’ schedule will be canceled for the remainder of the season.”

This is why the Lady Lions were no longer able to continue the season, thus, frustrating the team.

Safirah Milien, a junior at NYC iSchool as well as one of the five members of the team, said, “We didn’t even get our gym credit because we almost never played.”

The school gives students the option of earning their gym credit through a sports team as opposed to taking a gym class, however, because these girls couldn’t qualify to play, they will not be receiving their gym credit.

While this may seem shocking , considering no team in School history has had to drop of of the season, most students and staff in the school were either unaware of the situation or did not care.