Speak This! in black and white

This a common scenario in this module, where students have to go up and deliver their speech in front of the class.

Shamsul Hasan Chowdhury, Copy Editor

Speak This! is a required freshmen and sophomore module where students practice the art of delivering an eight-ten minutes long speech and refine it with the help of constructive criticism from their peers. The goal of the class is to prepare to deliver the speech in front of upperclassmen and parents in the commons by the end of the quarter. This photo essay was done in black and white because the topic for this quarter was “religion,” and as it appeared from most students’ speeches, religion is steadily becoming a thing of the past.

Mr. Jones, teacher of this module, writes down a set of instructions for students as they prepare to deliver their own speeches, which counts as rehearsal.
Mr. Jones delivers a passionate speech to set an example before students deliver their own speeches.
Students practice on their own.
Sophomore Jasper Willey is practicing the speech he wrote using an organizer during the first two weeks of the module.

Mr. Jones keeps track of time as students practice their rehearsals.
Moses Cohen-Soyer, the first speaker of the day, delivers his practice speech in front of the whole class.
Students pay attention to the second speaker of the day, Victoria Kapusta’s practice speech.
Moses Cohen-Soyer (right) takes notes while another student gives their speech and Aniya Greene listens to the speech.
Mr. Jones jots down his reaction from speeches on his computer that he later uses to provide constructive feedback to students.
A couple of students raise their hands to provide feedback as soon as Victoria Kapusta is done with her speech.
Mr. Jones provides Victoria Kapusta with immediate feedback when she is done with her speech.
Penelope Birnbaum delivers her final speech in front of a crowd in the student commons, which included some other students, parents of other students, a judging panel, and a couple of teachers.
This is the audience from the sideline.
The judging panel consists of upperclassmen, specifically juniors.
Desaun Slocombe-Robinson(Left), Aidan Bianchi(Middle) and Christopher Copley, all members of the judging panel, write down their reactions and carefully analyze Aniya Greene’s speech.