Worst experiences with Uber

Uber car service advertisement.

Margareta Stern, Journalist

Uber is a digital car service that has taken the world by storm. Uber was created in 2009, for the purpose to create opportunities for riders, drivers and cities. Technology has already become very influential, and now the idea of downloading an app to request a car service is truly remarkable. However, not everything works perfectly, especially when involving technology. At $2.55 per mile, many Uber drivers are negatively impacting people’s wallets and commutes. No one wants to be stuck in a situation where they are getting ripped off just for a ride somewhere.  

According to freshmen Ruby Zuckerman, “My worst experience with Uber was when the Uber driver never managed to pick me up. It took minutes until we had to give up and call another Uber. It was an exhausting experience.”

Uber continued to let down iSchool sophomore Rene Russo  when she was coming home from Manhattan with her friends and the driver took an extensive route which costed her and her friends more money. “He exited off the highway where he didn’t have to, then  pretended he went the wrong way so that he could take a longer route.”

Many people use Uber as it’s an efficient form of travel, but who does it really benefit? Cars already raise an environmental concern, because they produce a lot of harmful gases and release them  into the environment. The question we should be asking ourselves is, does the services Uber offers benefit or challenge our community?

“I am not a person that uses Uber a lot, however I do believe it’s very useful. I’m not a strong believer in polluting our environment, although I don’t believe Uber is our biggest concern. However, I would advise walking or any other commuting option instead of a car service,” said History teacher Ms Strassler.

Uber and the services it provides can be seen as very debatable. While Uber is an efficient car service that provides quick travel, without well established foundations and being a solidly technology based program they continue to face many struggles. However, Uber still exists and continues to influence our society tremendously. As we begin to understand the importance of technology in our community, we will continue to advance it in the future.