The Student News Site of The NYC iSchool

The iNews Network

The iNews Network

The iNews Network

The iNews Network

A deep dive into I Get It

The I Get It logo. Source: https://www.nmmhproject.org/
The ‘I Get It’ logo. Source: https://www.nmmhproject.org/

The mental health crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic skyrocketed mental health disorder numbers, as the World Health Organization reports that mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety, have increased by a whopping 25% in just the first year of the pandemic alone. 

The Asylum class at the iSchool takes students on a descriptive journey through how horrible it is to be treated poorly due to mental health issues. They partnered with the National Museum of Mental Health Project, a small organization trying to fix a large global issue of mental health struggles

In 2022, the National Museum of Mental Health Project launched their first program, titled I Get It, and in 2023, I Get It collaborated with the NYC iSchool for the aforementioned elective, Asylum. I Get It, a decade-long exhibition for any creative pieces of art that aims to improve mental health. 

As the National Museum of Mental Health Project puts it, “Every time a light switch is flipped on within one person, and every time the heart or mind of one person can look upon mental health with a deeper understanding and increased empathy, they have an ‘I get it’ experience. Every time someone with lived experience can look upon their own situation, and understand themselves more clearly and more lovingly, they have an “I get it” experience. And, an “I get it” experience can even exist whenever someone who does not understand mental illness can at least say to an affected friend, loved one, or co-worker “I don’t understand what you are dealing with, but I get that it is real and difficult for you. Please let me know if I can help.”    

Mental health issues have been on the rise ever since the beginning of the pandemic. MayoClinic says, “[In] 2020 and 2021, [there were] higher than typical levels of stress, insomnia, anxiety and depression. By 2022, levels had lowered but were still higher than before 2020.

Though feelings of distress about COVID-19 may come and go, they are still an issue for many people. You aren’t alone if you feel distress due to COVID-19.” 

Because of how hard it was for everyone during the pandemic, it is important to recognize how difficult mental health conditions have been to live with, and we need to start learning more about these conditions to do all that we can to help people suffering. Using art is a way in which this can happen.

According to the National Library of Medicine, art therapy is a major way in which mental health issues can be combated. “Art therapy is used most commonly to treat mental illnesses and can aid in controlling manifestations correlated with psychosocially challenging behaviors, slowing cognitive decline, and enhancing the quality of life. Art therapy can help people express themselves more freely, improve their mental health, and improve interpersonal relationships. The basis of art therapy is established on the idea that people can recover and feel better via artistic expression.” 

They go on to mention, “It is vital to raise awareness and mobilize support for mental health. Mental health concerns must be treated as soon as possible. Comprehensive measures for promotion, prevention, treatment and rehabilitation can be implemented through government approaches. Policymakers should be urged to enhance access to cost-effective treatment for prevailing mental illnesses in primary healthcare settings.”