What to know before purchasing the iPhone 7 Plus

The space gray model of the iPhone 7 Plus.

Maria Esposito, Reporter

Everyone was talking about it; Will it be waterproof? Will it have a double camera for better quality photos? Not to mention the possibility of no headphone jack? The rumors about the iPhone 7 Plus have been nonstop for the past months, and it has just recently been released to the public.

As of September 7th, 2016 the iPhone has been available to the general public in all major phone providers, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon. The price range varies from $769 for 32 gigabytes to $969 for 256 gigabytes.

The new features include the following: two cameras, longer battery life, speed two times faster than the iPhone 6, and a new stereo system. However are these new features worth the immense price?

According to Tyler Baguio, a sophomore and proud owner of the iPhone 7 Plus, “The camera is amazing, I do a lot of photography and the camera on this phone allows me to capture stunning images.”

In terms of camera quality, the iPhone 7 Plus is insanely great at capturing beautiful pictures. The phone features 12 MP wide angle and telephoto dual camera. This allows the phone to capture more depth and a better quality zoom, making photo quality almost unbelievable.

The camera also has a portrait mode option which allows for up close photos with the subject focused on and the background blurred.

The speakers on the phone are another big hit. For all the music lovers out there, this phone is perfect for you. The phone comes with stereo speakers which, according to Apple, “Deliver two times the audio output of the iPhone 6s, and increase dynamic range.” If you are looking to jam out with your friends, or listen to some relaxing music to help you get in the zone, this phone does just that.

The battery life is another great quality that makes this phone worthy of investment. From my own personal experience,  I have started a school day with 100%, and after a decent amount of usage for classes and during lunch, I had 78% battery life by the time I got home. Whereas, when I had the iPhone 6 I would come home from the school day with approximately 50% battery.

Many have been concerned about the phone not having a headphone jack. According to Wiktoria Zysk, a sophomore who was considering purchasing the phone, “My old headphones will no longer work, and then I cannot charge my phone and use headphones at the same time, which isn’t ideal.”

Upon purchase, you are given a pair of headphones with the same plug as an iPhone charger. This has its ups and downs; when facetiming my friends, I have to decide whether or not to charge my phone or to use headphones, which can be frustrating. However, the removal of the headphone jack has allowed my phone to be water-resistant, and so I have been able to bring it out during the snow and in the pool to take fun pictures with my friends.

In terms of speed, however, I have not been able to notice the major difference between the iPhone 7 Plus and the iPhone 6s. They are both high speed devices, with similar internet speeds.

Overall, this phone isn’t perfect, but the positives definitely overweigh the negatives. I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars solely due to the fact that there is no headphone jack.

If you are into photography, are a musician, or just tired of having to buy a new phone from water damage, the iPhone 7 Plus might be the phone for you. If you are constantly using headphones and charging your phone, or are looking for a faster phone than previous iPhone models, you might want to consider other models.