Lacrosse in the iSchool?

iSchool students hopeful of a new sports team. Above pictured Virginia V. Penn State in lacrosse game.

Caireann Sardino, Section Editor

At the edge of SoHo lies a school that’s not like many. It is a self-paced 21st century learning school that allows students to make their own decisions. Starting in sophomore year, students choose whether or not they’d like to take gym class. The iSchool lacks a gym so some students may decide that they don’t want to participate in weightlifting. One of the alternatives is the school offers them is to play a sport.

A few sports at the iSchool include basketball, bowling,softball, track, cross country, handball and most recently soccer. Sports in our community is a big deal because it allows us to come together and engage in similar interests. And lacrosse has been a talked about sport. The biggest controversy of including this sport is the space that we have and the amount of schools that offer this sport as well. Because without other teams, there is no game. And a few people had to comment on that fact.

Lelin Rogers, the Syracuse University defense lacrosse coach, said, “Lacrosse is a popular sport in Syracuse. It allows students from all over to come together and share the same interests. It’s a learning experience.It teaches you how to communicate with each other and work as a team. I think that every school should have a lacrosse team, as long as they have the space, the players, and the equipment then I don’t see any problem.” Which points out the two main problems mentioned by the students below.

Sophomore Theo Gold commented, “ I wouldn’t play on a lacrosse team because I don’t really like lacrosse, it is a less interesting version of basketball. But, I think the iSchool should create a team because bringing students together in different ways is always a positive for the iSchool community. The only exception is the space in the school. I’m not sure where there would be practice since the sport requires a lot of space. Maybe the team can travel to a nearby field or something.”

Another student who disagrees is sophomore Osiris Rhodes: “The iSchool shouldn’t have one because nobody plays it, they should first create a football team or something because more people play that. We also don’t  have all the equipment and it would be hard to play a game because not many schools in the city have lacrosse teams.”

But Sophomore Goshuami Valoy agrees with having a team. She stated “ Yes, we should have a team because it will bring more variety to the school. Most schools only have football, baseball,soccer. But, I wouldn’t join because I think I would get really injured and there will be mostly boys, but I love watching it. It would be really cool bc we can be like one of those really big sports high schools in the movies.”

So the commentators believe that lacrosse should be included because it would help bring the community more together.