Music in the heart of teens: Their passion and life

Jayvin Espinal

Some students sing and play music to feel something that isn’t normally felt. They all share a love of music and a passion releasing their emotions into melody. All these students share a passion for music, which is in their hearts and minds when they play.

With the iSchool being the center of all the action, many of its students come from different walks of life and have different types of backgrounds. Some of its students come from musical backgrounds like sophomores Hannah Coleman and Dianney Mascary.

Student at the iSchool, Hannah Coleman currently works for a musical program funded by the Carnegie Hall Association. She takes her music extremely serious as she “Makes it personal.” She loves this program because it’s “a second family.” 

Dianney Mascary has similar family ties to music: “It started out with gospel, but when I got older I got into that rebellious stage listening to punk rock.” When asking her about her general type of music (the way she sings) she was open to everything but her type of music is “Poetic, Soul.”

Coming from a musical families, Hannah and Dianney were taught to carry on their families traditions through their music.

On the other hand, sophomore Jo Mansala grew up In your average Fillipino/American household, or so you think. She said, “My dad was in a band when i was young…My older sister also helped me transition into music.”

She prefers independence when it comes to her music but might consider being a part of a musical program. She plays the ukulele, guitar and other instruments while singing on her  social medias like Snapchat to spread her music across to other people.

This feeling they get when they sing is something that not even they understand. Jo said, “It’s not necessarily freeing but its relaxing. It’s like my own way of meditating.”

The one person they need to help these musicians thrive is Mr. Paris, iSchool’s music teacher. He helps students pursue life-long musical careers