Check iSchool’s tech!

You might have realized the similarity between the iSchool name and Apple products, but theres NO association.

You might have realized the similarity between the iSchool name and Apple products, but there’s NO association.

Kamil Kuzminski and Daniela Lopez

Overcrowded streets, downtown traffic, train delays and five flights of stair are just a few factors iSchool students face every school day. It seems like the worst possible morning experience ever until you reach the iSchool halls. The narrow yet comfortable halls spread warmth and ease the students, teachers, parents and visitors. These are just few factors of what makes NYC iSchool a very unique high school. Along with this, the technology used within the classroom establishes an impressive platform for the iSchool.

NYC iSchool, located in downtown Manhattan for eight years now (2008), is a public high school that incorporates technology in the classroom with the institution plotting the ambition to trying to link education with the current world we live in.

This school is a 21st century high school founded in September 2008 by two women. Because the iSchool has been around for a couple of years, their outlook on how education should be provided is more modern than a traditional high school’s.

When Ms. Leimsider gave a press conference to the iNews class, it was time to be serious. The current assistant principal spoke about technology use in the classrooms. She stated, “Learning has to be real world relevant,” meaning that our world has changed so much throughout the years in terms of how advanced it has become. As a result, if our resources and everyday uses are progressing, then the ways students learn should be evolving as well. New discoveries, new devices, new products and new technologies are developed so frequent and “…education needs to be changed along with it,” says Ms. Leimsider.

Introducing the idea of using technology for class lessons was not so easy the first years the School was open. According to Ms. Leimsider, “We got a lot of push backs sometimes from teachers, students and parents.” However, even though there was a lot of controversy, she remained confident and has always trusted the teachers to use computers when they’re needed” since “it’s a tool and it depends on how you use it.”

Teachers like Ms. Calvo, one of the Spanish teachers at the iSchool, does NOT let students use the laptops in class all the time unless it’s necessary. She stated, “In our classroom, we use it, like I said before, for practice of different skills but pretty much at home not in the classroom because we need that time to communicate with each other to learn how to use the language and it takes a little bit of teacher center.” Technology is not taking over the control of teachers, it just steps in as an assistant teacher in a way to give more guidance.  

Technology can also definitely come in handy since it’s apart of “blended learning where you’re gonna use the classroom and technology… people can go more at their own pace so like students who are at a more advanced level can take a step ahead,” says Ms. Calvo. All students work and learn at different speeds so the use of computers act like a reference and give that extra support some may need.

Moreover, technology is such a wonderous commodity that we have been blessed to have. Imagine where we would be without it. Per the Business Insider in a recent data analysis of 2015 the following stats were found:

• Nearly 100% of all U.S. public high schools have access to internet. 
  • 70% of middle schoolers and 75% of high schoolers use laptops for educational purposes.

What this shows us is that the model the iSchool is using of having technology guide students in their academic lives and give them a phenomenal resource is being adopted on some levels across. It may not be all schools that are using tech, but this way is the way of the future undoubtedly.

We went scouting asking students their thoughts on the use of technology in the school. Meet Alliyah Logan, a freshman new onto the scene of the iSchool. Despite this, she seemed to settle with the asset technology brings to the school. “I feel like it’s just right, because again students can take advantage of technology. For example if I have an essay due last period, I can do it during lunch or during last period. It’s easy access to my work, and you don’t have to worry about losing it, because it’s always on the computer.”

Not every student had this bright affection for our profound medium at this school, as Bryan elaborated on here. “In freshman and sophomore year I didn’t really the online side of things, like the history classes. Mostly cause I forgot the homework since we met once every so often. So I would say there was too much online. But now as an upperclassman I like that it’s mostly computers. I feel more responsible and uhh…also be more organized.” From this, it’s glaring that Bryan Anthony Gathers has grown to be one of the renowned students with this useful tool for four years now.

Surprisingly, one thought the quantity of technology is present, but perhaps students aren’t using it to the devices specific potential. “I think we don’t have enough technology use, we spend it in the wrong areas. We have all these expensive MacBooks, when really the Chromebooks we use do just as well, unless we are using certain applications like geometer’s sketchpad,” said senior Masum Ahmed adamantly. Mixed views, but that comes with different personalities and ages.

Ms. Charter praised technology and is an advocate of the medium in school. Yet she did raise some caution with technology from her parental perspective, stating both the benefits and some concerns of technology. “I think in terms of school, the issue I would have with it is technology isn’t always a necessary tool  It’s a good review tool. My issue is that, as a parent I wouldn’t put technology in front a child at the age of 4 or 5. We tend to  give them access too fast, and we have a difficult time retaining their attention, because they want to be stimulated.  I would say the benefit to technology is that it’s an inexpensive tool. It represents the box, but you should be able to learn outside of the box, and sadly kids are losing that skill. You just want to keep it balanced.” They all appreciate or have come to appreciate technology in this school somewhere down the line. Technology isn’t a perfect product and won’t be for quite some time, but it truly has it’s rewards. Our students are reaping them.

In addition, Zoe who is currently a sophomore, shared her perspective in terms of the technology use. Like many students here at the iSchool, Zoe  said, “you have to teach yourself a lot of the stuff” because some classes such as online U.S history and online global require lots of use of computers. Many students like her find themselves saying, “I don’t learn anything from a textbook” because staring at a 400 page hardcover book with thousands and thousands of words can be frustrating and bring lots of pressure. Because many students are use to looking at a screen, they find themselves feeling more comfortable with the tools they are using when logging on to their emails on the school laptops.

Taking a step back, the school’s reputation is very puzzling in the sense of what the ‘i’ means in iSchool. Yes, technology is present in the school, but it’s a medium used to idolize what the iSchool stands for and it’s aim. The pertinence is very much real. From what is depicted, the main four are: imagine, investigate, innovate, & influence. Plenty of students when they say they represent the school, they have to enunciate the i, as it’s often mistaken for high school. Which is what it is, but not the definition of a high school, but rather a very special unique one at that.

Aaliyah shared, “I think imagine is like the most impactful one, I feel like all four other components create a strong school environment. I think it shows people that we are different, outside the box, and that we like to change the social norms of schools and curriculum so students can be safe and comfortable.”

Bryan added his thoughts, “Innovation. I love that word. I strongly believe that this school is going to be the perfect picture for how schools are going to be in the next 10-20 years.”

Masum felt particularly invigorated by one of the ‘i’ words, “The I in innovate makes me want to do something different in my schoolwork or anything outside of school.” Every student has their own word of the lot that speaks to them. Different strokes for different folks, it may appear.

What this use of technology brings to a school like the iSchool is a diverse community and curriculum. According to Bryan, one of the coolest seniors you’ll see round these parts, “I like the diversity of the school, there’s the black kids, the white, the hispanic kids. I feel the friend groups are very integrated.”

Masum delivered an impressed reaction on our student populus: “I really like the diversity of our school because it allows us to experience more perspectives and understand the world in a more in depth way.”

Overall, it can be said that our diversity is second to none, We wholeheartedly believe that the technology in the school is what has attracted many afar to walk onto Spring street.

The staff enjoy working here put their best foot forward to Ms. Leimsider is so fond of being a part of the school. The fact that our school only holds 460 students makes it manageable for all the staff. To be fair, it assures more attention, care and success for every single student. When asked if she would want to grow the school size over the next few years, Leimsider reflected for a second, “There’s something about the small sense of community I like, to be able to know everyone’s name is helpful.” We are glad to have her, and it’s truly a privilege.

Thus, the iSchool is a school like no other. As a collective unified community we thrive in this technical and sundry environment. The student makeup is one to remember, growing every person to their highest potential. Moreover, we can say that the trusty technology extenuates this cause, regardless of the occasional Wi-Fi blips in the building.