NFC East power rankings

The Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, and Redskins.

Edward Sherman, Reporter

In the NFC East there are 4 teams: the Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, and the New York Giants. With the end of the season looming, these teams are battling it out for the NFC East title.  

The New York Giants have the worst record in the NFC East. The Giants have a record of 1 and 7. The Giants have been riddled with injuries, which has made it very hard for them to win. In week 3, Janoris Jenkins, one of the Giants’ top cornerbacks, was injured with an ankle injury. This injury was the first part of how the Giants’ defense would slowly crumble. As the season continued their defense, which had been predicted to be amazing, was slowly collapsing with the injury of Jason Pierre-Paul, a great pass rusher, and Landon Collins, the Giants star Safety.

Cesar Medina, a sophomore at the iSchool, said, “All of these injuries have led to the Giants 1 and 7 record.”  Without these injuries, the Giants could have been a team competing for the playoffs. Instead, they are the worst team in the NFC East.

The Washington Redskins are the 3rd best team in the NFC East with a record of 4 wins and 4 losses.The Redskins have not had a bad season, and the reason they have a record of 4 and 4 is because of how hard their schedule has been.  They have been playing some of the top teams throughout the entire 1st half of their season. They have also lost their top cornerback Josh Norman. They are not in for an easy schedule moving forward as most of their games they will be playing teams with great records.  This means that the Redskins may not reach the playoffs this year.

The Dallas Cowboys are 2nd in the NFC East division, leading the Redskins by one game.  They were supposed to have a great season with their two star rookies Dak Prescott, their quarterback, and Ezekiel Elliott, their star running back. However, as the season played out, it became clear that Prescott and Elliott were carrying the team. Most of the games they lost were because one or the other didn’t play well. If both Prescott and Elliott play well for the rest of the season, they could compete for the number one spot in the NFC East.

Coming in at the number one spot in the NFC East is the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles have a high powered offense with an outstanding run game. With Carson Wentz, one of the top quarterbacks in the league, passing to Desean Jackson, an elite tier wide receiver, their offense is extremely hard to stop. The Eagles are number one in their division because of their offense.  

According to Henry Katchuba, a freshman at the iSchool, “While I dislike the Giants, I think that the Eagles will definitely clinch the NFC East.”

Overall, the Giants are completely out of the runnings for the playoffs and would actually do better losing more games in order to get a better draft pick in the 2018 draft.

The Redskins are very much in the running for the wildcard spot, but in order to clinch the number one spot in the NFC East, they would have to win almost every single one of their remaining games, and the Eagles would have to lose most of them. This would be nearly impossible but a wildcard spot could be possible.

The Cowboys are definitely in the running for winning the NFC East. With upcoming games against mediocre defenses like the Chargers, Redskins, and Giants, they could have a chance in beating the Eagles out for a spot in the playoffs.

The Eagles are set up to clinch their division and maybe the NFC. All they need to do is to continue to play outstandingly and win just a couple more games, and they may clinch the playoffs.  

While the Eagles are set up to win the division,it’s very possible for the Cowboys to win as long as Prescott and Elliott play well. Unfortunately, it is looking bleak for the Redskins, and they will not make it to the playoffs as a wild card.  The Giants’ season is over; the only good thing about the Giant’s record is that they still are doing better than the Browns and the 49ers.