Does the NYC iSchool meet the hype?

Jeffrey Lesnik and Dylan Volotsenko

In middle school, the high school application process is a very stressful task. For students to actually attend a certain school, there has to be something unique that grabs their attention.n the iSchool’s application, it seems like a great school but does it meet its expectations and is it actually as good as it seems to be?

¨I believe this school does meet itś expectations because it has a lot of flexibility in the ways you can teach, a lot of technology, which can be useful, and very supportive staff,” stated Mr. Fitts, a math teacher at the iSchool for four years.

He also stated, “ This school is great, what is not to like about it? When I was looking for a teaching job four years ago, I wanted something different and then I saw the iSchool, and I thought it had a lot of cool features about it that other high schools didn’t have.”

The iSchool is full of appealing qualities that might attract a teacher or student, but are they true?

“Yes, definitely, it promised a different high school experience for both students and teachers and that is exactly what the students and teachers got,” said Mr. Fitts. This is one teachers opinion that works at the iSchool, so let’s hear another opinion from a different teacher.

Ms. LaPlante, another math teacher at the iSchool who has taught in other schools before such as Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, stated, ¨ This school does meet the expectations I believe because on the application for high school it seems like an ok school with good attendance rates and good regents scores, and I believe that the students that attend the iSchool work really hard and try their best to achieve what they want, the teachers also care about their students and the school is just great.” Stuyvesant is one of the top rated schools in the NYC but instead to go to this school. Ms. LaPlante thinks that theNYC iSchool actually exceeds the expectations given.

Freshman Henry Katchuba said, “ The high school application for me was confusing; my dad picked out the iSchool for me. I thought it was really cool since it had a lot of things that other high schools didn’t have.”

That’s true, the iSchool does have many things that other high school’s don’t have, but what else about it was appealing? “I also really like the location of the school since it’s in Soho and their are a lot of places to shop and eat,” said Henry.

The iSchool’s location is in a very popular area in NYC, but does it live up to its on the Department of Education’s website?

“Well, personally, I thought it was better than what it said in the application text book,” said Henry.  “Because I never heard of choosing your own classes and half the things that the iSchool has like an advisory and the iSchool portrayed itself as a different school from all the other high schools so yes, it did meet the expectations. It seemed like a good and different school and it is” .

“To be honest I feel it was a bit less than I expected from the description,” said freshman Bethel Berhe.

“I thought that it was going to have all the best technology, and I also thought we would be relying on it.” She states, “Don’t get me wrong, it does use a lot of technology a lot, but most of the classes have computers from ten years ago!” This student feels that the iSchool over hyped its technology.

iSchool freshman Duncan Levine disagrees with this statement. “ I feel that the iSchool is the way it portrays itself. There are computers in every class unlike my middle school that only had like 10 computers for the students and there are different types of classes and you get to choose what class you want to take just like the description stated” He thinks that the iSchool is well prepared and technologically equipped to take on the requirements of today’s high school curriculum.

The iSchool is really the way it was portrayed to you before you joined the iSchool community!