Clubbing: Discovering what really goes into a club.

Jalexie Urena, Copy Editor

Are you ever sitting in the cafeteria, walking outside during lunch, or bored after school and think, “I could really enjoy some group activity of my chosen interest right about now. . .”? Well luckily for you, at the iSchool there exist several clubs to join!

From Chemistry and BSU (Black Student Union) to Film Club and GSA (Gay Student Alliance), the options are definitely varied and suit multiple tastes. People who have an interest in writing, gaming, science, or any other areas can definitely find something they will love.

Sometimes, though, a student may not find exactly what they want, which is why students are able to start clubs of their own! Sometimes the process can be hard, but the end result is always rewarding.

Arianna Pacheco, a freshman at the iSchool, says, “I wanted to find people who shared the same passion for anime and the Japanese culture . . . Once I got into the iSchool, I befriended many people who like anime, so this club is supposed to bring people who like anime together.”

Her club is already being put in motion and will meet Tuesdays after school. Introducing students to new cultures and environments is essential, especially when living in such a diverse city.

Senior Max Pierson-Panes, co-creator of the chemistry club says, “. . .With the possible exception of the coding club, we learn the most. . . We want to get students into chemistry, as well as teach them proper lab safety procedures.”

The club was inspired by teacher Mr. Sahlstrom, who made Max and the other co-creator Rhys love chemistry. It is currently the only science-based club at the iSchool, but maybe there will be more to come!

While some clubs are for intellectual purposes and teach other students new things like the anime and chemistry club can, the Glee Club idea by Micah Gomez is less about learning and more about sharing talent.

Micah says, “ I think overall the enjoyment of every single individual is the most important in a club.” She has a passion for singing but recognizes that a club is not a club without the members feeling like they belong.

She was inspired by the famous TV show “Glee” and her past experiences in choir. She wants to create a welcoming environment where people feel comfortable, which she values very deeply.

The journey to create a club may not be easy, but the end goal of providing people with an environment where they feel they belong is always rewarding. As Max says, “ There is no point of having a club people don’t want to go to.”