Styles from yesterday are tomorrow’s trends

Taylor+Swift+and+Ariana+Grande+are+known+for+their+love+of+two-piece+outfits%3B+Beverly+Hills+90210%2C+a+TV+show+from+the+90s+also+took+on+this+trend+back+in+the+day.+

Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande are known for their love of two-piece outfits; “Beverly Hills 90210”, a TV show from the 90s also took on this trend back in the day.

Luis Sanchez and Lucie Bernheim

Fashion has evolved throughout many decades, and as time goes on, old styles tend to come back and history repeats itself. Especially in recent times, styles from the 1970s-1990s have come back, and it’s partly due to celebrities and their styles.

Celebrity style has a big impact on today’s teens. As soon as someone with a platform tries something even remotely different, it’ll be talked about. But, it’s up to the fans-or the public-to decide if they like something and follow suit.

Alliyah Logan, iSchool sophomore says, “I’m obsessed with this show called ‘Riverdale’ and every female character has the best outfits. So, if I could have their wardrobe it would be amazing.”

Kendall Jenner, Zendaya, Taylor Swift and Rihanna are a few that have a lot of influence over society, and they are partly responsible for trends that we know and love today. Kendall Jenner, a reality TV show personality and model, is one of the most famous celebrities in the world and happens to be someone many people look to in terms of style. Whether for a red carpet or for running errands in Los Angeles, she always looks put together and has great yet simple clothes.

Jenner started sporting the fanny pack in the spring of 2016, and since then has been wearing them in several photographs and public outings. The fanny packs became popular in the 1980s and started being sold again in 2012. In 2016 they blew up partially due to Jenner’s usage of them. Once fans and onlookers saw how to style this bag, it instantly started being sold at stores like Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 and more.

Ignat/Bauer-Griffin
Kendall Jenner sporting a fanny pack in NYC.

Rihanna, Kylie Jenner, Selena Gomez and more have also brought back tiny sunglasses. Tiny sunglasses came back around the spring/summer of 2017. Because of these celebrities being spotted outside wearing it, many started to see them and started to wonder and possibly be amused by them. Many feel like the new trend is tiny sunglasses. According to Emilia Petrarca’s article “Kanye West Emailed Kim Kardashian a Memo About Wearing Tiny Glasses,” Kim Kardashian states, “Kanye sent me a whole email like, ‘You cannot wear big glasses anymore. It’s all about tiny little glasses,'” she continued, “’He sent me like, millions of ’90s photos with tiny little glasses like this.’”

Gotham
Rihanna rocking the tiny sunglasses look last year.
Kanye West recommends tiny sunglasses to Kim Kardashian.

Taylor Swift was really into the matching crop-tops look in 2014-2015, which was a very popular look back in the 90s. Below are photos from the hit drama from the 90s Beverly Hills 90210 where character Donna Martin is shown wearing different matching sets. Swift wears these sets and puts them on the map again. Singer and actress Ariana Grande is also a big fan of the matching top/bottom look, sporting it at several events, award shows, and concerts. 

Celebrity style has a big impact on today’s teens. Alliyah Logan, iSchool sophomore says, “I’m obsessed with this show called Riverdale and every female character has the best outfits. So, if I could have their wardrobe it would be amazing.”

Something that has been observed is that trends and celebrity inspiration is often found within the teenage population, and not as much as adults. Mr. Singh, an English teacher said: “when I was in high school, I really liked Johnny Depp fashion and in the 2000’s I was into Kanye West, but now I don’t really follow celebrity fashion.”

But not all teenagers follow trends and look up to celebrities. “I don’t follow any trends,” says sophomore Stephen Bonilla.

Sophomore Alliyah Logan said that she loves fashion and always makes sure she looks good on a budget.“My ideal outfit would be something I’ve never worn before. Something different.” She continued, “there are so many different outfits out there that I could try. But, no matter what outfit I wear I make sure I wear it with confidence because to me that is the best item to have on.”

Logan shops in places like H&M, Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. “I don’t follow any trends but the stores I shop at do. I pretty much wear whatever I find appealing.”Alliyah has also noticed how celebrities influence her style: “there are many celebrities that inspire me to wear certain clothes or that I relate to.”

Ms. Figueroa, a Global teacher at the iSchool, has seen the trends that celebrities are doing and how people are starting to follow them, but she is very specific when following these trends: “I only follow the ones where I won’t regret when I’m older, when I’m looking at pictures, I don’t want to look at it and be like ‘Oh My God what was I thinking?’”

While many shop for trends, Ms. Figueroa said, “I like to shop because I know I can find something in ZARA. I also like Levi’s because I know what I want and the quality is good. I like to shop in Bloomingdales, they have a wide range of shoes, clothing and in between, recently (last two weeks) I’ve been doing online shopping, like Fashion Nova, and the things that I order fit all right so I’ve been good.”

While trend-setting, trend-spotting, and trend-following are popular among more recent generations, it’s not the only way people find what they want to wear and how they want to express themselves. It’s good to have inspiration, but it’s also good to have individuality.