The iNews Network

Songs of the summer: 2018

Lucie Bernheim, Feature Editor

Summer’s approaching quickly, although the weather seems to disagree. The month of May is slipping away and summer vacation is getting closer; a time where we have the opportunity to be independent. Every year there are songs that become labeled “songs of the summer”. Before we start roadtripping, hanging out with friends and going to the beach, here’s a compiled playlist of 10 songs to add to your summer mix.

1. Downtown’s Dead- Sam Hunt

Sam Hunt had last year’s song of the summer: “Body Like a Backroad”. A year later, the grammy nominated singer/songwriter has come out with a new tune “Downtown’s Dead” which is bound to be a pop and country hit.

1. Twentytwo- Sunflower Beam

This indie band is spending their summer supporting British sensation Arctic Monkeys, which is the perfect time to hear their upbeat feel-good song live in concert! The title says it all- what says summer like young and free?

1. Fallingwater- Maggie Rogers

Pharrell William’s prodigy Maggie Rogers put out a new song in the last week that is heading straight towards the indie-pop scene, just in time for summer. Last year, the NYU alumni’s songs “Alaska” and “On and Off” were “it” songs, so it would make sense if she were to repeat history.

1. No Tears Left To Cry- Ariana Grande

It would be unlike Grande if she had not released a new song in time for vacation, and the charts don’t lie: it’s taking over.

1. I was Jack (You Were Diane)- Jake Owen

Summertime is when those country songs crossover to pop radio, and that’s the direction Owen’s latest seems to be headed in. A song about growing up and driving in the summer listening to songs on the radio, it would be criminal if this song wasn’t played in the warm weather.

1. The Middle- Zedd and Maren Morris

Zedd has been releasing dance anthems for years, and Morris has had plenty of success in the country and soul world, so while this collaboration may sound out of the ordinary, it seems to work. Already hitting #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, this song has not died out and has no plans to.

1. City Looks Pretty- Courtney Barnett

Barnett released her sophomore album “Tell Me How You Really Feel” about two weeks ago, and this song is perfect for driving around in the summer. For indie music lovers, this song is perfect for you.

1. Nice For What- Drake

It seems that no matter what Drake releases, it will break the internet. Drake is known for his feel-good music and this song is no different.

1. Rich and Sad- Post Malone

Post Malone is one of the most highly regarded new artists. His new album “Beerbongs & Bentleys” is one of the best-selling of the year and his catalog is filled with music that is dancabale, just like “Rich and Sad”.

1. This is America- Childish Gambino

This might not be the song that makes you want to party, but it’s a song that is historically important and will change-is changing- the political scene. Childish Gambino can do anything- and this shows off his talent even more.

About the Writer
Lucie Bernheim, Section Editor

Lucie Bernheim is a junior at NYC iSchool and a section editor for the Arts and Entertainment section. Outside of school, Lucie enjoys songwriting, traveling,...

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

I Want To Break Free: Fact-checking “Bohemian Rhapsody” and LGBT representation

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Review

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

The Views of Kanye West

• Arts & Entertainment

What is art?

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

The Thanksgiving TV binge

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Hip-Hop’s supervillain: MF Doom

• Arts & Entertainment

NYC iSchool 2018 Spring Concert

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

“Freaks and Geeks:” The New Generation

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Are violent video games really that bad?

• Songs of the summer: 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Review of “Isle of Dogs”: When animal rivalry becomes lethal

The Student News Site of NYC iSchool
Songs of the summer: 2018