Alma vs. André: The final debate

J-Lynn Torres, Reporter

At 3:30 on Thursday, November 1st, students gathered in the Commons for the Mock Election final debate.

Mock Congressional Election is a module taught by Mr. Jay. The class follows the election process, with students taking the role of candidates, campaign teams, and the media, and accumulates in a school-wide election on will be held today during advisory.

Whatever role they take, students in the class develop a in-depth comprehension on what goes into a successful campaign.

The final candidates, senior André Eisenberg and junior Alma Reiss Navarre, have been actively campaigning for awhile now. Discussing issues such as gun violence, immigration, education, wage gaps, and healthcare, they have caused the students of the iSchool to become greatly invested in the election.

The debate began with a two minute opening statement from each candidate, followed by questions for the candidates and a response from each.

During the debate, Alma talked about her commitment to working with people of all backgrounds. She asserted that not every American is supported by the government, and that  substantial change needs to be realized.

Meanwhile, André stressed his dedication to giving a voice to people of color, and enacting realistic  solutions to pressing issues.

André also acknowledged the similarities between his and Alma’s beliefs. However, he believes he would be the more effective congressperson. On the topic of equal pay, he stated his support for the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would add enforcements to the Equal Pay Act. He argued that the Alma’s proposed act, the Affordable Low-income Minimum wage Act (ALMA), would simply raise the minimum wage to $12.00.

Both candidates also talked about Trump, with Alma saying that the president is promoting hate and violence against immigrants, and André stating that Trump’s plans are instilling fear.

When I asked why other students should vote for them, André spoke of his personal experience coming from a family of immigrants, his ability to research problems and find feasible solutions that he has acquired from Model UN, and of how he wants to be involved in the student body and hear what they have to say. Alma talked about the discipline she has acquired from her rigorous dance classes, along with how she would like to listen to what people think while working to change the various social problems within schools.

After their closing statements, the debate ended.

Both André and Alma are clearly passionate about their views and this election – it’s easy to see how much heart has been poured in to their respective campaigns.

For more information about the candidates’ stances and ideas, read the Mock Election newsletter, the “iSchool Nugget.”

Who will you be voting for?