What do iSchoolers do during break?

An investigation of what people do during break.

break officially starts on the 25 of June

Maxim Van Dorn, Journalist

Summer break is enjoyed by most students, mainly because it’s a long break from school and takes place during one of the nicest seasons. There are many different ways to enjoy your vacation during summer break, it all depends on where you go and what you do.

There are so many ideas people have during summer break, “People do a variety of things during this break, ranging from going to camp to traveling in a foreign country”, according to the Washington Post.

The summer break was created by the Agrarian farming calendar. When “America was created most people living in America were farmers.” This belief maintains that the “current school calendar has a two-three month break so that the children could plant crops and and harvest,” states the Daily Bruin.

Even though the calendar changed during the 19th century, people wanted standardization  between urban and rural areas. “The calendars over America became more better aligned and breaks happened at the same times,” according to the History of School and Summer Vacation by James Pederson.

Grey Tratenberg is a freshman in the iSchool and enjoys having his summer breaks. He “likes how it’s warm out and having the free time to play sports” he clearly likes to have some time “from school and homework.” Grey said that his family “sometimes goes away for their breaks and I used to go to camp.”

Grey usually stays “at home” or goes “out to the gym or park.” Other students also enjoy going to the gym like freshman Ezra Gold, who also enjoys his time to “work out.”

Ezra’s family usually stays at home though; he doesn’t “like the hustle and bustle of traveling.” He asked “who doesn’t like summer break, it’s nice taking a break school work” even though most students get “break homework” which is very “annoying.”’

Ezra and Grey both enjoy their breaks and enjoy having their own time for themselves, like many other students do. Students have also said that they enjoy the small breaks like winter break and spring break.

But unlike Ezra and Grey, Liam Noel does not enjoy his summer break. He has said “it’s not fun because all your friends go to camp and travel” he doesn’t like that “and I find it boring.”

Liam says he enjoys seeing his “friends in the morning and catching up with” them. Liam likes going “home and having something to do.”

This doesn’t necessarily say that this means that “there shouldn’t be any summer break” just that he “doesn’t like it.”

He has had some summers where “my friends have been around I’ve had fun,” but overall he doesn’t like the “time being wasted.”

At the iSchool, the majority of opinion have said that summer break is nice to have and nice to have with your friends. Many kids said that having a break is very enjoyable.

There still are some people who don’t like the break as much as others may. This still doesn’t mean that they don’t want it but that it’s not as enjoyable.

A teacher from the Computer School, Nathaniel Geraci, said that he likes taking breaks from “having so many days putting up with annoying kids” saying that teaching “snobby kids” is extremely “annoying and” he doesn’t get “paid enough for this.”

Even teachers like to take a break from their enjoyable teaching. Everyone needs a break, and students seem to annoy teachers a lot.

There is a even amount of kids who go away during summer break and kids who stay home, some kids even go to camp. The students who stay at home tend to do their homework for the break quicker because they “have not much to do.”

Mr. Geraci also stated that “many of the teachers I know don’t go away that often because of all the planning.” These teachers all go to the Computer School and opinions may vary.

Charles Van Dorn, the brother of Maxim Van Dorn, is a 7th grader in middle school. He states the he enjoys school as much as break because the activities you can do are “balanced and are both fun.”

Charles enjoys going to camp and “has fun with his friends” because he knows most of the kids and teachers there.

He also enjoys his school because most of the people “who go to the camp also go to my school,” which he enjoys.

Being a 15 year old student in high school, I enjoy my break because it means I can go away to camp for 5-6 weeks. I can escape the city and explore the mountain range. It’s really nice to have the break personally.

I also like having time to myself and not worrying about homework and due dates and escape into a timeless zone. Having access to going to camp is a very nice privilege that not many people have.

There are many different things that students enjoy doing during their free-time, everyone has different views on fun, people do a variety of activities during summer break. What people do during break is up to them, relax, have fun, travel, it’s up to you.