Are the iSchool’s hallways big enough?

Kelly Pawluk, Section Editor

Imagine yourself on a crowded street, everywhere you turn there are people trying to get somewhere. It’s hard to move and human contact is creeping up everywhere on your body… that is how it is in the iSchool’s hallways when classes are being switched.

NYC iSchool is obviously a small school, and along with a small school comes small classrooms, bathrooms, and hallways. The hallways of the school are approximately 7 feet wide, and are supposed to hold all of the iSchool’s students.

The school’s hallways are so tight that not even ONE Victoria’s Secret Angel would be able to walk through the halls with her wings.

Lockers are part of a high school hallway vision, but since the iSchools hallways are not wide enough they would not fit. Jasmine Gebreyesus, a freshman at the iSchool, believes that if lockers were added, then “everyone would be suffocating in the hallway and it would just feel like rush hour on the train.”

Each student at the school has 3 minutes to get to their next classes, but how is this possible if there are about 460 students trying to get to class in such a tight space?

Jordan Hank, a freshman, said: “It’s hard to get to class when everyone else is piled on top you. Some people like to push in the hallway too, so that’s always fun…”

An anonymous student explains a story of how they were turned into a ping-pong ball while getting to her next class. “I was walking to my iLearn class and the halls were filled with people. All I could feel were people sliding their bodies onto mine so that they can get through. As I got to the fifth floor, people started to push from both sides- because of this, they made me move side to side. This kept on happening and I guess I was transformed into a ping pong ball.” the student says with a smirk.

The hallways are filled with students in all grades, and as a short person myself, walking through the hallways with seniors and people 5 feet taller than you is really stressful and straining.

It is safe to assume that for short people we feel like Simba, from the Lion King, when the herd of animals trampled him.

The amount of places in a high school where you can catch up a little bit with your friends are limited. Alma Reiss-Navarre, a freshman, said that “trying to talk with your friends in the hallways is like on an escalator going different directions because you need to keep on moving and before you know it, you are both on the other side of the hallway.”

Speaking of human contact, “it is nearly impossible to avoid a certain person or touching someone else in the halls,” according to freshman Carla Gaveglia.

Unless you are a person who LOVES human contact and times square chaos, then these hallways are for you.