Tips for freshman year success

Imagine: One of iSchool’s three inspirtational words located on the fifth floor, near Ms. Strassler’s room.

Bryant Garcia

Upon entering high school for the first time, several thoughts ran through my head:

“Who will I become friends with?”

“Will I fit in?”

“What if I don’t like my school?”

I was nervous and exposed to a new environment and didn’t know what to expect. As time passed, though, I became more and more comfortable and realized that high school wasn’t as bad as it seemed.

Now that I’m a junior, I know what I’m supposed to do and how to do it correctly.

Today, I’m here to help you, the incoming freshmen and class of 2021 and beyond, with tips on how to survive your first year of high school!

Tip 1: Be yourself.

The last thing you want to do is to put up this fake persona in front of other people. Remember, these are the people you’re going to be with for the next four years. Being yourself is key to getting to know and befriending others. Acting like someone else to fit in is something you don’t want to do, especially since you’d have to put up that same act for the rest of high school.

Tip 2: Get to school on time.

This one seems kind of obvious, but a lot of kids forget about this. Getting to school on time is key. Once you come to school late a few times, it becomes a habit. Then when it’s the time to look at your transcript and you see 20 latenesses, you’re going to ask yourself, “Why didn’t I just get to school earlier?” Avoid this by waking up earlier and predicting train delays. Nick Lief ’19 said, “Try not to fall behind, and prevent developing a habit of being late because it becomes a habit.”

Tip 3: Maintain your grades, do your homework, and try to miss as few assignments as possible.

Once you hit the middle of sophomore year, the sophomore slump may hit you. It’s when you slowly forget to turn in assignments and complete homework; as a result, your grades slip, and your overall academic life suffers. Try to get in a good habit of writing down the homework you have in a planner, doing all of your required assignments, and staying on top of everything you have to complete. Easton Brashares ’17, said: “Don’t take advantage of the late work policy. Give it in as soon as possible.”

Tip 4: Be prepared for the upcoming years.

Since you just started high school, everything will seem easy, breezy and light. But do not take this easiness too seriously, as the coming years will become more serious and harder. As Brianly Urena ’18, said: “Don’t think that all of high school is easy and a breeze just because freshman year is.” Not to worry, though! If you remain focused on your goals and don’t play around too much, sophomore, junior, and senior year won’t be as difficult. Just remember to take priority of your school work and do what is needed to succeed.
Although it seems daunting, high school is nothing to stress about. If you finish your work and get to school on time, high school becomes easier and more fun.