Music in school? Stay woke!

Music is a big part of a lot of people’s lives. It is our escape. Sometimes it is all we know. But should it be allowed in school? Some people say it helps them focus. Others say it is a distraction. Most teachers are against it, but maybe it is not such a bad thing.

Contrary to what most people think, “Tech Times” says that after researching, it is true music can help kids to focus.Only if they like it though. Lots of people are close minded and think that only if it is classical music can it help you focus. For someone who doesn’t enjoy listening to classical music, this is false.

Lulu Bernard, a freshman said, “ Personally, I don’t like listening to music while I work because I tend to get off track.” Lulu prefers to work in silence Where as Fatima Moreira, another freshman, does not. “I find that listening to music while working is very relaxing. I wish I was allowed to listen to my music while I worked independently in every class.”

After polling 20 students who were in grades 9 through 12, the results were very mixed. 13 iSchool students found listening to music while working helpful while seven students found it distracting. And 7 school students found it distracting. Most of the students also answered with “It depends” before choosing a side. Fatima Moreira, another freshman said  “I find that listening to music while working is very relaxing. I wish I was allowed to listen to my music while I worked independently in every class.”  

The other problem most teachers bring up when it comes to headphones is being able to hear announcements. It is very important students be able to hear fire alarms,  lockdown announcements, etc.Some students are very attentive and are able to have music in their ears while still listening to what’s going on around them. For others, this is not the case. Some students get very into their music and are not paying attention to anything else. A freshman, Pau Bredl Mrti, said “ If i’m listening to music I can’t really pay attention to other things.” This is one major concern teachers have about music during class.  

All in all, it is important to let students make their own decisions. However, when it comes to safety, that is up to the teachers. By high school students are old enough to decide whether or not listening to music while working is beneficial for them. In some schools, students are in fact allowed to decide if they want to listen to music, but, some students do take advantage of that privilege. At the NYC school, some teachers allow students to keep one headphone in when they are done with their work, or are working independently. Even though the administration makes the rules, the students know what’s best for them and the independance at the NYC iSchool helps them to figure that out. On Debate.com, 85% of people think that students should be able to listen to music. Debate.come released a later poll that showed that 97% of people agree that listening to music during class should be allowed.

The subject is obviously very controversial. Lots of high schools in New York let students decide. At the NYC school the students are able to decide in some of their classes. Only with a strict one headphone rule, for the safety of the students.