Teens facing peer pressure

Peer pressure is a common situation which most teenagers face.

Rene Russo and Margareta Stern

Peer pressure is a common struggle that many teens face.

According to Ms. Bell, the college counseling intern, “Peer pressure is when a student or any individual feels pressure to do something or act a certain way because of their peers.”

Peer pressure is the influence from members of one’s peer group to get involved in or try different things. Engaging in certain actions to feel a sense of recognition feels very encouraging. However, peer pressure can become so overwhelming in these sorts of situations, where teens can start to express their emotions mentally and/or physically. Peer pressure is not easy to deal with, but once we understand self-acceptance and begin to discover our own personal boundaries, we’ll feel more confident with any situation that life presents us with.

According to sophomore Jess O’ Sullivan, “The first time I experienced peer pressure was 7th grade.  My friends face the pressure of looking or acting like someone else, changing their overall personality”

“I definitely experienced pressure a lot in middle school. It was stressful, but I had supportive friends who allowed me to  be me,” said iSchool freshman Charlotte Seifert.

“I have experienced peer pressure, but I don’t succumb to it,” stated Danny Goyette, a sophomore attending the iSchool.

Peer pressure can range from being influenced to try drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, and even sex. These influences are considered negative peer pressure, and they can either be classified as direct or indirect.

“There’s a number of factors, a lot of time young people don’t want to be different, they want to be liked. They feel pressured to go along with what everyone else is doing, it’s very much an idea of wanting to be approved,” said Ms. Colon, the guidance counselor.

“Stress causes peer pressure as well as the need to fit in,” explained Danny.

“I believe being influenced by those who surround you is a root cause of peer pressure.  To avoid certain stresses, it’s best to establish healthy friendships with people who you trust and can honestly connect with,” claims Charlotte.

Your environment contributes to your exposure to peer pressure as well. Ms Colon said, “Every school has peer pressure, we would be naive to say it’s not happening. Even in adults with the election-you could feel looked down upon in New York if you voted for Trump.”

There is no final solution to resolve this issue of peer pressure. However, that shouldn’t stop people from developing their own ideas regarding the situation.  People can begin to accept that peer pressure exists and be able to become aware of the situation. Knowing when they’re experiencing peer pressure, is only the first step to overcoming the issue. Next, is to take action. Being able to distance yourself from the pressure, realizing that you have the power to say no.

Overall, everyone can get involved to solve the issue of peer pressure to make sure to speak out about it not only on social media, but also by disconnecting and verbally speaking to other students, friends and teachers. We can stop peer pressure by respecting ourselves.