Ms. Charter: A dedicated teacher

Ms. Charter helps Nathaniel Harpaz on his project during module.

Sadie Krichmar

Imagine that you had an essay due and you stayed up until 3:00 am working on it. Then arrived at your first period class to find out you have a pop quiz. You have the mindset that it is impossible for your day to get any better however you will be proven wrong once you get to your Spanish class with Ms. Charter.

When you walk into Ms. Charter’s classroom, you are greeted by a smiling teacher, fairy lights, and laughter. You realize then that maybe your day won’t be so dreadful after all.

Ms. Charter started at teaching at the NYC iSchool in 2014 . Since then, her dedication to the iSchool has clearly been shown through her teaching strategies and how accommodating she is towards her students.

“She is really nice and cares about her students and makes sure that we understand the material and that we master everything,”said freshman Lia. After having to transfer into Spanish 3 because of a scheduling conflict, Lia feels as if she can handle the more challenging material because Ms. Charter cares about and ensures that she always understands it.

When her students are lacking confidence, Ms. Charter works with them until they fully understand the material. She regularly checks in with them and guides them until they have mastered the content.

Ms. Charter wakes up at 5:00 to get to school early to be available to help her students. “Usually I”m here by a quarter to 8/8:30. The reason I do that is because I know office hours is limited. You either have to pick I go to math or I go to this or I go to that. So I do morning hours so if you can’t catch me in the afternoon you can catch me in the morning,” Ms. Charter explained.

“Ms. Charter is one of the most caring teachers that I’ve ever had. She makes me laugh and she really pushes me to do the best in Spanish class which I’ve never had before,” exclaimed Elaine, one of the sophomores in Ms. Charter’s Spanish 2 class.

Ms. Charter isn’t only dedicated to the iSchool. She is dedicated to helping people. She volunteers regularly at her local YMCA and the church at her son’s school. Also, she teaches English as a second language (ESL) to adults. Ms. Charter uses some of the ideas she gets at her ESL class in her Spanish classes. She too learns from her ESL classes and tries to incorporate what and how she teaches the adults into her Spanish classes.