School shootings

JIM WATSON

Students participate in a rally with other students from DC, Maryland and Virginia in their Solidarity Walk-Out to urge Republican leaders in Congress “to allow votes on gun violence prevention legislation.” on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, March 14, 2018. Students across the US walked out of classes on March 14, in a nationwide call for action against gun violence following the shooting deaths last month at a Florida high school. The nationwide protest is being held one month to the day after Nikolas Cruz, a troubled 19-year-old former student at Stoneman Douglas, unleashed a hail of gunfire on his former classmates. / AFP PHOTO / JIM WATSON (Photo credit should read JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)

Bryan Pineda, Reporter

You enter school at 9:00 a.m., and two hours later you’re in third period with 29 of your peers. To your surprise, there’s a sudden hard-lockdown and someone enters the building with a rifle during your third period class. 

Without your knowledge, the suspected shooter goes directly towards your class and starts shooting at the door knob to try and break it open. As the armed suspect successfully breaks in,  they release fire amongst you and your peers. Your heart races as you escape the school with your belongings. A wave of sickness hits you as you realize some people inside didn’t make it out. You find out later many of your peers didn’t make it out, and some of those who are injured. Although you thankfully escaped you still feel terrified and are traumatized. 

School shootings needs to be solved but a big problem, especially in America .It needs to be solved because a lot of kids are dying due to a cause of people showing up unexpectedly in the school armed  or student who is armed but no one is aware of it.

People get traumatized due to this issue because shootings happen everywhere and anywhere. For example the mass shooting that happened in Texas that left 22 people dead and 24 injured but the shooter targeted Mexicans. NBCnews says, “The Texas man accused of killing 22 people at a Walmart in El Paso, in an attack that authorities said targeted people of Mexican descent.” 

On August 3, 2019, a mass shooting occurred at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas. This is the El Paso shooting memorial.

After this happened, it left people speechless because it was a shocking event. Events like this make people very paranoid and may make their anxiety worse.

School shootings have been happening for a while in the  U. S, but some people don’t know how to stop these shooters. Some believe that metal detectors at the entrances of schools would help and also making security guards more aware of things. 

Some parents and students are traumatized by these situations. According to the Los Angeles Times,  “they are uniquely potentially traumatizing, and may have these much larger indirect costs ,depression, delayed grief, kids not able to move on and be successful in their lives.” This is why school shootings should be stopped because it affects these students in the future and leading them to have a hard time being successful.

These students, or anyone in general, should not have to go through this because it impacts them negatively. For example,Dianne from NYC has a daughter, Rory, who goes to college in California, and she said, “It was heartbreaking. She was screaming and yelling. She loves school, and she kept yelling, ‘I don’t want to go back. `I don’t want to go back.”`

After seeing Rory’s reaction, Dianne says she doesn’t think any kids should have to participate in drills like these. This mom was very frightened. 

Also, Devante, a dad of 4 children, is paranoid about school safety. He says, “ I’m scared of having my children’s school get shot up by someone who has no reason behind it.” 

School shooting in California on November 21, 2019, caused by a 16 year old shooter because of physical issues.      

School shootings happen more now in days. NPR says, “ Adolescent school shooters, there’s no question that they’re struggling and there have been multiple failures in their lives”. Also these adolescents don’t get the help they need. People may think these shooters do this on purpose and do it for no reason but something that leads to this is bullying or they just want to hurt people. 

NPR also says. “Many, though not all, of the perpetrators have experienced childhood traumas such as physical or emotional abuse, and unstable families, with violent, absent or alcoholic parents or siblings, for example. And most have experienced significant losses.” This is what causes these shootings. 

Also, NPR says, “Mental health issues don’t cause school shootings. After all, only a tiny, tiny percentage of kids with psychological issues go on to become school shooters.” Most of the time young adult’s make the decision to become school shooters due to the violence they see and the stuff going on in their lives and is not their mental illness, sometimes kids/young adults with mental illness don’t get treatment for it.

Ultimately, you are over the situation and think about how times used to be but then you noticed that reality came to fast and how is always good to be aware of things and people you should trust. 

You are chosen to present the memorial of the students that were killed and it was a very emotional presentation but it inspired others to help others out even if they are going through tough times or need motivation to do something. Your voice was heard on news and suddenly you were the talk of the day but you decided to set up a foundation for those who need help and everything went well  that day.

Movement to stop school shootings everywhere in 2018 .