The Student News Site of NYC iSchool

The iNews Network

The iNews Network

The Student News Site of NYC iSchool

The iNews Network

The Student News Site of NYC iSchool

The iNews Network

Halloween in NYC: Costumes, movies, fun!

Halloween: the one night a year when you can be anything or anyone you want. Literally. For many people, Halloween has been a favorite holiday, and for good reason. This special day is devoted to people coming together, dressing up, having fun, and eating candy. 

For kids, this day is about getting as much candy as possible, all of this while looking the coolest they have ever looked. From Spiderman to jellyfish to scary clowns, you really see it all. As a kid, my most powerful memories of this special day were dressing up with my best friends and finding group costumes that bonded us further than we knew. I think many people have emotional connections to the films, feelings, and comfort found in this holiday. 

Johanna Scott, a junior at LaGuardia High School, says, “My favorite part is definitely the costumes because I love to dress up. My favorite memory of Halloween was trio costumes with my two best friends and making my own costumes. I love the creative aspect of Halloween.”

Halloween has been a way to connect with those around us since the holiday was commercialized as it is today. There have been many different generations with different Halloween traditions, and we can see this all the way back to around 2,000 years ago when the first tradition of Halloween began. 

The history of Halloween is super interesting to learn about. Traditions of Halloween have changed a lot from its beginnings. According to The Library of Congress Blogs, “the Halloween holiday has its roots in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain.” Also, activities such as trick or treating came from “Celtic people who would leave food out to appease the spirits traveling the Earth at night. Over time, people began to dress as unearthly beings in exchange for similar offerings of food and drink.” Trick-or-treating brought communities together and allowed kids to have fun during hard times for their families economically. 

According to the History Channel, between 1920 and 1950 trick-or-treating was revived, and things like carving pumpkins and more modern traditions appeared in the Middle Ages. In the 1930s, haunted houses became popular, and so on, more and more creative aspects became integrated into the holiday. 

Now, traditions many people experience with their families include things like carving pumpkins, trick or treating with friends, and watching scary movies. Getting really into dressing up, and into the spirit of Halloween makes the holiday, and the whole season around it so comforting and fun. 

New York City is a super special place for Halloween because of the excitement around it. As a kid, me and my family would pick a day on the weekend where we would decorate the outside of our house for the whole street to see. As the season approaches, spider webs, carved pumpkins, and huge blow-up creatures decorate the NYC streets. 

A 4th-grade student in New York City says, “My favorite part about Halloween is the candy! I love dressing up as whatever I want and being on my own more.” For many younger kids, Halloween becomes a time of independence and fun with their friends. He also says “It is super cool to see all the decorations and stuff around the neighborhood.”

Commonly, Halloween becomes a holiday that allows kids to be their own person, be more independent, and have fun with their friends. These things seem to grow as you do, instead of trick or treating Halloween becomes more fun with friends and family. It always seems to bring communities together and strengthen bonds in relationships of all kinds. 

As with any social event, safety is a big concern for parents and families around this time. Especially with the entire point of the holiday to scare people, most parents of younger children have concerns about their children’s safety. 

According to the National Safety Council, glow sticks, or reflective tape is a helpful way to keep children visible when it gets darker out. They also say to “Opt for nontoxic Halloween makeup over masks, which can obscure vision; always test makeup in a small area first to see if any irritation develops.” These factors are all important to be safe about because they could ruin a child’s Halloween night. Taking these precautions will ensure a fun time, hopefully, a night full of excitement and fun rather than frightening experiences for kids. 

For older participants in the holiday, one of the best parts of Halloween is dressing up. Spending weeks thinking of the perfect costume is a true challenge. Finding the perfect balance of being funny, obscure, interesting, but also cute can be so fun. Whether you decide on being a movie character, a pop culture reference, or an object, it is so fun to take creativity into consideration and also to see what other people came up with. Knowing that they put all the same careful thought and consideration into their costume of the year connects communities and brings people together. For months leading up to Halloween, “What are you going to be for Halloween?” always becomes a staple in conversation. 

Tess Walker, a junior at the NYC iSchool, says, “My favorite part of Halloween is hanging out with friends. Prepping and getting ready is so much fun.” She also talks about special memories attached to the holiday. She says “I remember my dad used to make my Halloween costumes every year, and it made them so special and memorable.” Having a personal connection to the holiday can make the day all the more special and exciting. 

Halloween will always have special connections and memories for so many people, and we see this a lot in the coming weeks. People have a lot of fun creating costumes and decorations, bonding with family and friends, and expressing their interests and passions through costumes and decorations. This holiday that is marketed as a scary, dark holiday is actually bright and fun; and has been bringing people together for thousands of years.