Marjory Stoneman Douglas: Recovery and the aftermath

Students participate in a demonstration in Washington DC, organized by the youth organization Teens For Gun Reform. The demonstration was planned in response to the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/number7cloud/40369207261

1

J-Lynn Torres, 1521751945:114

On February 14th, 2018, life changed forever for the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Former student Nikolas Cruz open fired with a semi-automatic rifle, killing 17 innocent lives.

With no other outlet, some students took to their phones during the shooting. The videos are disturbing. Bullets echoed through the school as students hid in classrooms. Children were visibly shaking even as helped arrived.

Meanwhile, parents stood outside the school in desperation and suspense, wondering if their children will come out alive.

iSchool freshman Gabriela Lebron shares her reaction: “I was upset. I think the shooting was incredibly horrible. The victims and survivors are our age, and no one ever should have to experience something like this.”

Students are now returning to their classes, attempting to regain some sense of normalcy.

The U.S. has seen a trend of school shootings over the years. With lockdown drills becoming the norm, and the events of Parkland being a painfully familiar story, we’ve sadly become accustomed to this reality.

“With each shooting I get more disappointed, but not surprised. The government isn’t doing anything to prevent these shootings,” iSchool senior Jayda Torres comments. “With the Parkland shooting, I was upset, and I felt hurt for the the students and staff and families and victims, but it didn’t shock me.”

One positive thing seems to have come out of this tragedy.

In the aftermath of this violent event, the Douglas shooting victims have made it apparent that they refuse to be silenced.

The students recently voiced their outrage during a CNN town hall. They confronted Florida senator Marco Rubio, pressured politicians for new legislation, got big industries to cut ties with the National Rifle Association, and organized a national walkout to protest the danger students currently are subjected to with gun laws as they are now.

Jayda expresses her admiration towards these efforts: “They are going through a lot, but they’re taking the opportunity to advocate for what they believe in and to change things. I’m proud of them.”

“I think they are going to send a message to officials and government leaders from all over the country,” Gabriela says.  “It is going to show how much this means to the youth.”

“I honestly hope that government will listen and make it harder for people to purchase guns,” says iSchool senior Leslie Ramirez. “It’s probably going to take a long time for them to make a decision but it would be great if they took the all the victims side.”

The Douglas students aren’t the only ones taking initiative, however.

Students across the country are showing alliance with the victims. Many have pledged to take part in the Washington march planned for March 24th, and walkouts and protests have sprung throughout the states. Even amiss threats of suspension, students are refusing to back down.

There are two national walkouts planned: one on March 14th, and another on April 20th.

Jayda plans to participate in the walkouts: “I think it’s important to advocate for what I believe in, and to support victims of shootings and their families.”

Leslie agrees: “They should be able to express their opinions about something that they have experienced and make a change so others don’t go through it as well. And if they have to organize walkouts to be heard, then I support it.”

Some have doubted the impact the current movement will have. After all, there has been outcry after outcry following each of these terrible events. And yet, people argue, little has changed. Throughout these atrocities, a dangerous trend of silence has followed the discussions and the debates, leaving the victims unsatisfied and the nation vulnerable until the next attack.

But Gabriela remains hopeful: “The victims, students, are coming together and showing their anger and frustration with the gun laws of our country.  This has been getting so much coverage and is getting so much attention on the internet. There is even a march in Washington D.C. planned. I think this shooting has been truly impactful towards making a change.”