The Last Jedi: A review

Kenny Xu, Reporter

Many of us have already heard of the latest addition to the Star Wars trilogy: The Last Jedi. Some of us may have already watched it.  There are also those of us who will be watching it soon and are excited about it. ALERT: There will be minor spoilers. There were many trailers revealing and hyping people up for the new movie.

Could the movie live up to expectations? Many fans of the Star Wars spoke about the movie on Twitter. #LastJedi was trending on Twitter with many fans liking it and retweeting it.

On Twitter Erik Davis wrote, “#TheLastJedi is absolutely fantastic – gripping, touching, funny and powerful w/ gorgeous shots and the most B@d#$% battles. When it gets going, holy @$#% does it get going. Hands down the best #StarWars movie since Empire.”

Seems like Erik Davis liked the movie but what does some of the iSchool community think of the movie though?

In an interview with Samuel Dexter Dore, a freshman at the iSchool, he says, “I loved the new Star Wars movie.” Dexter also said, “I think that the hardcore Star Wars fans are just angry because it wasn’t as geared towards them. In my opinion, the new Star Wars movie is more geared towards casual fans, and that’s the way it should be since there are many more of casual fans than hardcore ones.”

Many fans are casual fans, meaning they don’t take things too far such as knowing pretty much everything about the franchise. Star Wars has more casual fans overall than hardcore fans.

In another interview with freshman Chanzlah Julien, he said, “I think the Star Wars Last Jedi movie was pretty eh. It wasn’t necessarily good and it wasn’t bad either, it was just in the middle.”

The Star Wars movie definitely had its ups and downs. The Last Jedi had a different film director than other Star Wars movies and that might have affected it as well. The director for Star Wars The Last Jedi’s film director is Rian Johnson while other Star Wars movies had J.J. Abrams as the director.

In a interview with Mr. Fitts the geometry teacher, he said, ¨I liked the Last Jedi movie.” Mr. Fitts went on to say, ¨Yes, I would recommend it to someone else.¨

Of course, this movie isn’t perfect. Mr.Fitts commented that he would’ve liked to see more Chewbacca scenes in the movie and also said there was too little battle scenes. The movie had some flaws, but overall everyone interviewed here would recommend the movie to someone else.

In the end this Star Wars movie is not like any of the older Star Wars movies. The Last Jedi takes a different approach to the Star Wars franchise, Rian Johnson made the movie much more comedic. The Last Jedi also had many gorgeous shots and still had the great battles. You should definitely watch the new movie.